Curried Red Lentil, Quinoa, and Apple Soup From 'The Essential Plant-Based Pantry'
This delicious recipe is from The Essential Plant-Based Pantry by Maggie Green. Discover more great recipes and embark on your own plant-based adventure by picking up a copy at your favorite book retailer.
With cold weather quickly approaching, warm and comforting food is a must. Yet, for many home cooks, it can be a challenge to find the time, money, and ingredients to enjoy preparing a healthy, plant-based meal. Thus enters Maggie Green and The Essential Plant-Based Pantry, an indispensable resource for cooks who want everyday, healthy recipes right at their fingertips, without the fuss of an extended shopping trip. Keep reading to learn how to create the perfect fall soup to satisfy all your holiday needs. Just ten ingredients, one pot, and about thirty minutes are the only things you'll need to impress your friends and family all season long!
*Before you start cooking be sure to note that the red lentils cook quickly but turn a yellow color when cooked. The apples and quinoa add a nice body to the soup. Rice can be substituted for the quinoa, but if brown rice is used, increase the cooking time to forty-five minutes.
Curried Red Lentil, Quinoa, and Apple Soup
Make 8 cups
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium apple, cored and cut into small pieces
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 ½ tablespoons curry powder
- ½ teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup red lentils
- ¼ cup quinoa, rinsed
- One 13 ½ ounce can regular or lite coconut milk
- 4 cups water
- Optional: chopped fresh cilantro
- In a saucepan, heat the olive oil.
- Add the onion and apple and cook until tender and starting to brown, about 8 minutes.
- Stir in the honey, curry powder, coriander, salt, and cayenne pepper.
- Mix well to blend.
- Add the red lentils, quinoa, coconut milk, and water. Bring to boil, reduce to simmer, and cook for 30 minutes until the lentils are soft.
- Serve topped with optional fresh cilantro.