Swimsuit Season Recipes
Warm weather is here! That means barbeques, beaches, and bathing suits, but don't worry! This summer, we've got you covered with healthy, refreshing, and delicious recipes for every occasion. Keep reading to find the perfect low-calorie cocktail, a fueling fruit-filled breakfast, and a dangerously delightful dessert all from The Wellness Lifestyle: A Chef's Recipe for Real Life by Chef D and Dr. K.
Melon Berry Crunch
- 1 slice of a “personal”-sized watermelon 2 slices of cantaloupe
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup whole-grain, low-sugar cereal 6–8 blackberries
- Favorite natural sweetener for drizzling
1. Layer a slice of the watermelon on the plate with wedges of cantaloupe, yogurt, cereal, and berries.
2. Drizzle with a touch of honey, agave syrup, or maple syrup.
Cranberry, Meyer Lemon, and Tonic
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 10–12 frozen cranberries, thawed, plus more for garnish or fresh ones for garnish
- 1/2 cup 100 percent cranberry juice
- Juice of a Meyer lemon, plus wedges for garnish
- 16 ounces of tonic water (I use diet usually, or a nice craft one if I can find it)
1. In a glass pitcher, combine the maple syrup, berries, cranberry juice, and lemon juice.
2. Muddle to combine and fill with ice.
3. Pour over tonic and lightly stir.
4. Serve in glasses garnished with Meyer lemon wedges and a few more fresh or frozen cranberries.
Blender Banana Frozen Yogurt
- 3 frozen bananas, cut into small rounds
- 1 cup low-fat yogurt
- 1/4 cup maple syrup (or honey or agave)
- Juice of 1 lime plus 1 teaspoon zest (or 1/2 lemon and zest)
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon or a few cardamom seeds (removed from the pods)
1. Combine all ingredients in the bowl of your blender or food processor and process until very smooth and creamy.
2. Put mixture into a chilled freezer container and place it in the deep freeze for 2–3 hours or overnight, until it is firm but not hard.
If the “ice cream” gets too hard, just pull it out of the freezer 10–15 minutes before serving to soften.
*Note: Try garnishing with a dollop of yogurt, chopped dark chocolate, and nuts.
The Wellness Lifestyle: A Chef's Recipe for Real Life is the easy-to-follow and life-changing book for those who love food and want a healthier and fulfilling life. Renowned chef Daniel Orr teams up with wellness coach Kelly Baute to identify and navigate the eight dimensions of wellness: nutritional, physical, social, spiritual, emotional, intellectual, occupational, and environmental. The result is a fulfilling recipe for everyone interested in improving their overall health and shedding pounds while still enjoying life.
The path to total wellness is a lifelong journey of self-exploration and adaptation. Chef D and Dr. K explain how to implement and maintain effective behavior changes, including better ways to move, like yoga and meditation, and better ways to eat, with easy recipes for whole, healthful foods. From Muscle Mud Breakfast Bars to Cauliflower "Popcorn," Happy Mouth Quinoa Salad to Tuscan Flatiron Steak with Garlic, Rosemary, and Lemon, The Wellness Lifestyle is packed with delicious and fun recipes that combine the healthy nutrients your body needs with the great flavors you crave. Featuring the secrets to good food and an even better life, The Wellness Lifestyle: A Chef's Recipe for Real Life is essential for every kitchen.